Downtown Palo Alto: What was University Avenue called before there was a university?

Check out this excerpt from the Wikipedia page for Palo Alto. It's interesting to note that there is still an office on Cal Ave with a Mayfield Town Office sign…

The township of Mayfield was formed in 1855, in what is now part of South Palo Alto. Leland Stanford  starting buying land in the area in 1876 for a horse farm, which became  a university after his son died in 1884. In 1886, Stanford came to  Mayfield, interested in founding his university there. He had a train stop  created near his school on Mayfield's downtown street, Lincoln Street  (now named California Avenue). However, he had one condition: alcohol  had to be banned from the town. Known for its 13 rowdy saloons, Mayfield  rejected his requests for reform. This led him to drive the formation  of Palo Alto, originally called University Park, in 1887 with the help  of his friend Timothy Hopkins of the Southern Pacific Railroad who  bought 740 acres (3.0 km2) of private land for the new townsite. Stanford set up his university, Stanford University,  and a train stop (on University Avenue) by his new town. With  Stanford’s support, saloon days faded and Palo Alto grew to the size of  Mayfield. On July 2, 1925, Palo Alto voters approved the annexation of  Mayfield and the two communities were officially consolidated on July 6,  1925. This saga explains why Palo Alto has two downtown areas: one  along University Avenue and one along California Avenue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *