There are so many great unusual options in the city:
(1) Jones – Stephen Starr's homage to the Brady Bunch era serves up homestyle comfort food atop a shag-carpeted floor. Bonus points for being kid friendly.
(2) Victor Cafe – Good Italian food, great operatic performaces from the waitstaff, and the filming location for Rocky Balboa's resturant in the last installment of the Rocky saga.
(3) Dante and Luigis – South Philly. Great food. Feels like dining in the middle of a scene from Goodfellas.
(4) Barcade – This place is 3/4 bar and 1/4 restaurant, but packs a million beers and dozens of old video games, playable for just a quarter each. Located in Fishtown.
(5) Marrakesh – Morrocan food located where all the hippies meet – South Street – Great middle eastern ambiance.
(6) Hop Sing Laundromat – A bar, not a restaurant, but very unique! Located in Chinatown, basically a 20's era speakeasy. Be ready to order classic cocktails and be sure to dress up.
(7) Federal Donuts – What? A donut place? No way – its more than that. Two locations in South Philly and Center City, this place offers three things: Great coffee, amazing fried chicken, and crazy-good donuts. What's not to like?
(8) Vedge – World famous vegan restaurant. So good, you won't know you are eating vegan. Booked up months ahead, so call early. Located in Center City.
(9) Brauhaus Schmitz – German food. Giant steins of beer. Hipsters. South Street. Amazing!
(10) Reading Terminal Market – Philly's daily food market, located in Center City. Try the Peking Duck, Italian Hoagies or Amish country fare, with Philadelphia Butter Cake for desert!